The Automotive Technology diploma program offers ASE/NATEF based training in the practical aspects of automotive maintenance and repair with emphasis on logical diagnostic procedures and effective repair methods. This program prepares graduates for entry-level employment as an automotive repair technician in an automotive service center.
- Bumper-to-bumper training covering all systems
- Hands-on experience in a realistic shop environment
- Light duty diesel included – puts graduates in demand
- A1 – Engine Repair
- A2 – Automatic Transmission/Transaxle
- A3 – Manual Drivetrain & Axles
- A4 – Suspension & Steering
- A5 – Brakes
- A6 – Electrical/Electronic Systems
- A7 – Heating & Air Conditioning
- A8 – Engine Performance
- A9 – Light Vehicle Diesel Engines (ATI Specialty Training Included)
Heavy Vehicle & Diesel Technology
The Heavy Vehicle Technology diploma program offers diesel training in the practical aspects of engine maintenance and major heavy vehicle subsystems. Students receive classroom and laboratory training using modern test equipment and specialized tools.
- Preventative Maintenance to Advanced Diagnostics
- Transportation Refrigeration EPA 608 & 609 available
- Certifications available: Get Ahead – Freightliner – Western Star – Detroit, Bendix Air Brake, Meritor Fifth Wheel, Truck Lite, Genie Lift, & Wix Filters
- Wide variety of school vehicles allows real world, hands-on, learning. Trucks, Ag. Equipment, Construction Equipment, etc.
- 608 & 609 Certifications
- Multiple Certifications Available
- Bendix Air Brake Certification
- Meritor Bullpen Fontaine Fifth Wheel Certificate – Wheel fitting connection to trailer.
- Wix Filtration Expert Certification Preventative maintenance oil filtration, air filtration, fuel filtration, etc.
- Cummins Virtual College Factory Training – No certification.
- Genie Lift Certificate – Hydraulics for scissor lifts, applicable to other types.
- Truck Lite Training Institute Master Lighting & Harness Technician Certificate – Truck and trailer lighting.
An authorized ESCO and Nate Testing center, and offering EPA approved refrigerant handling certification, ATI’s HVAC program is among the best available.
- Residential to light commercial HVAC systems
- Commercial refrigeration
- Opportunity to obtain certifications including: ESCO Certification (multiple available) and EPA 608 Refrigerant and Electrical
- EPA Section 608 – Refrigeration Certification
- R410A Safety – Blended Refrigerant Certification
- Optional ESCO Certifications
Maritime Welding Technology
This diploma program offers training in the practical aspects of construction and repair of equipment and structures built with steel. In addition to structural skills, students will learn to weld pipe in multiple positions. Instruction is presented in both classroom and laboratory using modern welding equipment and tools.
- Designated booth for each student
- Hands-on experience with the 4 major welding processes
- Work with steel and aluminum
- Opportunity to earn American Welding Society certifications
- Certified AWS testing facility
- SMAW Tack Welder Qualification AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- Steel SMAW 6G Pipe Certification AWS D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- Steel SMAW All Position Plate Certification, Limited D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- Steel FCAW All Position Plate Certification, Limited D1.1 Structural Welding Code
- Steel GTAW All Position Plate Certification, Limited D1.1 Structural
Advanced Technology Institute offers several high-demand, hands-on career training programs in Automotive Technology, Diesel/Heavy Vehicle, Maritime Welding, Commercial Driving and HVAC/Refrigeration in the Hampton Roads area.
We are Nationally Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). In addition, we are certified to operate as an institution of Higher Education issued by the State Council of Higher Education of Virginia.
Get ready to roll up your sleeves and get hands-on at ATI!
- Approximately 50% shop time, 50% class time
- Welding 80% shop time, 20% class time
- Theory taught through practical applications
- 20 students per shop instructor maximum
- Earn a Diploma in 15 months or your Associate Degree in 18 months
- 4 day training week, allowing for part-time employment or long weekend
- Morning, afternoon, and evening classes available (select programs)
- Free refresher training (prepare for welding certifications)
- Ongoing career placement
Financial Aid and Scholarships
Did you know ATI offers Financial Aid to those who qualify? Package could include grants, student loans, plus loans, scholarships, VA benefits, savings
- Accelerated College Savings Plan – Earn up to $3,000 tuition credit before starting school (match up to $3,000 max $250/month x 12 months)
- SKILLS USA
- Automotive, Welding, Diesel, and HVAC
- FFA (Future Farmers of America)
- Yellow Ribbon Reintegration Program
Student Housing is not required but is available for students from outside of the Tidewater area. All luxury apartments used for our off-site Student Housing are hand-picked for their management, amenities, safety, and their proximity to shopping, entertainment, and emergency services. Apartments leased for student housing are two (2) bedroom with two (2) bathrooms and will be furnished to house four (4) students. No co-ed options. Learn more about student housing here: https://auto.edu/housing/
What are my next steps to get started?
- Discuss your interest and share information with your family.
- Schedule an informational/interview session with an admissions representative.
- Secure your seat. We have limited enrollment.
- Tour the campus.
- Take an entrance exam.
- Roll up your sleeves and start your future!